Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Starship Work in progress






Here. See if you can even make this image out. I need to learn how to do proper "clay renders" in maya, because this quick cheater way that I found on the net looks like ass. (EDIT - screw it, I'm just going to screencap the thing in Maya. Not this "occlusion pass" crap where you can't tell anything.)

Anyway, here's some starship I'm working. I say starship because it's a ship, not a fighter. Even though most of my ships look like fighters. I have the basic shape of sorts, but now I have to figure out what details I'm putting on there. I should really plan this stuff out in advance. I got some stuff in my head, but there are some major details that I don't have so I should sketch some stuff out.

Obviously there are some major anime influences in there, and probably a bit of Naboo-style designs from Star Wars. But I've seen so many spaceships in my time there are probably a few different things in there as well.

Dunno how long I've spent on this. I take so many breaks it's hard to say. But at a guess we'll say . . .2-4 hours. Oh added one more little drawing at the bottom. That sketch is pretty much what I started from, though I didn't import it into Maya. Working with some big white blob on the screen is hard on the eyes. So I just winged it. Very professional. There a bunch of other sketches, of various angles, all of them crappy and very rough and not worth posting up. Anyway. Back at 'er.

8 comments:

Dan szilagyi said...

Cool post Paul, could you change the BG color or the color of the jet itself? the white on white makes it a tad tricky to see all the form and so on.
It looks pretty cool though, i like the sleek design of it, but i think you're totally on the right track with planning it on more so on paper first.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas as well! i intented to cut the roof off so i don't mind, i wasn't 100% sure on the building beside the top pointy one so i guess it can seem a bit wonky.
Colors aren't set in stone either and no i didn't intent to change color by floor.
Though i did notice the bottom right side of the piece, i think i might add the other character to balance it out.

Thanks though

Unknown said...

seem you are discovery a new medium and enjoying it....

Brownie Major said...

Yeah, 3d programs appeal to perfectionists like me who never learned how to draw. Hahahaha.

I should be doing some more pencil to paper sorta drawing, and I have been doing some rough sketches for this thing. But I haven't done any finished drawings on paper for years (since like my post-VFS portfolio).

TH3DEN said...

Thanks Paul! this looks sick, i can never figure out how you have the patience to do things in 3d but i do admire it a lot!! The design is very slick akin to stealth bombers, and looks highly agile and maneuverable. Would make for a good scouting vessel or stealth recon. Lookin forward to the finished piece!

MOUNTAINFERN. said...

Hi Paul, good to hear from you. I am doing just fine, thanks. How about yourself?

MOUNTAINFERN.

Dan szilagyi said...

thanks for the comments paul, yeah the spidy wasn't too tight so i did a new one that i'll post

cheers

Dan szilagyi said...

they were pretty chunky now i that looked at the film again :(

Dan szilagyi said...

Thanks for the comments Paul, i don't mind one little bit, i think you're the only guy at this point who bothers to point anything out, and although i don't ask for the comments on my work it's good to have it.